Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A Solid Build


I spent last Friday evening at home watching Bridget Jones's Diary and drinking wine.

And I didn't feel sad. At all. I felt content, maybe even happy.

But I also want to connect with people. I don't want to spend every Friday night home alone watching movies. I want to make plans. I want to talk. I want to learn more about people. I long for those college nights when we cracked a bottle of wine and talked and it didn't matter how late we stayed up or how much we drank because we all lived in the same house or at least in walking distance of each other's homes.

Just like our cars and appliances and houses our lives aren't aren't really built to last. They're built for changes and transitions and transience, but they aren't built for the future, they're built for the present. At least that's the way mine is built.

I am 100% about living in the present. Up till now I've spent very little time planning for the future and if I have planned it's never been for more than a year ahead. I plan for the winter in the fall. I plan for the summer in the spring.

And I love living my life this way but I'm starting to realize that some of the people I admire the most don't live this way. They have retirement savings plans. They've bought houses. They've invested in communities...

In my current job many of my coworkers expect that I want to be teacher and work in a school for the rest of my life. They assume that being a library aide is a well thought-out career move. It isn't. But it is quite empowering to have people assume that you know what you want to do with your life.

I have more contact with people who have built their lives around one place and group of people through this job than I have ever had before. My co-workers aren't all looking for the next best opportunity. It's inspiring.

We'll see just how inspiring it is in about nine months.

XOXO,
Kiconco/Ms.Hornor/Elyce/Reese

p.s. The school year is over in nine months... I'm not pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment