Tuesday, January 10, 2017

2016 Year in Review

2016 contained two very different chapters of life for me.

The first chapter contained many contradictions. Close knit community together with loneliness. Beautiful nature juxtaposed with longing. Confidence undermined by comparison and insecurity.

I'm still baffled by the experience I had in Uganda, the freedom and spontaneity of the entire experience. The dancing and the drinking tea in the dark were hi-lights of that chapter. Maybe one day I'll figure out what I really learned from the whole experience- for now I simply know that it was as good and beautiful as it was a time of longing for something more.

Chapter two brought me out of island time and into a fresh community but it also brought so many beautiful moments with old friends. It brought a job I really enjoy, a touch of stability, and longer term plan than I have ever had. It also brought many reminders of the brokenness of our society along with moments of hopelessness.

This year feels harder to sum up into words than 2014 or 2015 were. There are things I'm still working through, things I might never figure out that cropped up this year. Things that made me really happy to start a new year.

So here's to 2017 and the moments this year will contain.
Here's to running a 1/2 marathon.
Picking up my Bible a little bit more.
Building a table?
Climbing some mountains.
And not shying away from commitment.

"When you can invest yourself deeply and unremittingly in the life that surrounds you instead of declaring yourself out of the game... that's a good, rich place." -Shauna Niequist

"In the darkness I'll dance, in the shadows I'll sing. The joy of the Lord is my strength." -RC


No comments:

Post a Comment