Sunday, January 10, 2016

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know...

I don't know who first said that but I imagine people have been saying it, in some way or another, for thousands of years.

I'm currently the midst of a very intense briefing. By the end of this week we will have spent 8+ hours in the classroom every day for 12 consecutive days. So far we have talked about everything from flies embedding their larvae in your skin to the Sustainable Development Goals. We have discussed personal experiences, broad and somewhat theoretical methodologies, and we have participated in activities that helped me to realize how passionate I am about seeking justice. It has been incredible.

When you're not in an educational environment on a regular basis it is very easy to forget about learning. It's easy to forget how little you know. Most of all, for me, it's easy to forget that learning more is worthwhile.


I have to be honest. I tend towards laziness when it comes to learning. I learn what I need to learn when I need to learn it. I am not a keener. http://www.bbc.com/news/world is very rarely in my browser history. I might read slightly more than the average person my age... but that generally only happens when I don't have access to wifi. I like mindless youtube videos. I often mention that I should look things up (this happened at least three times today). I almost never actually research anything.

I tend to think that if I know enough to complete the basic tasks put in front me then I'm doing alright.

Well, this week has been a kind reminder that learning really is worthwhile. I don't want to be the person among my peers that has no idea what is happening in the world. I don't want to think the education is only about moving up in the world.

Learning is not a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment