Sunday, January 24, 2016

Mixed Emotions

I start work this week.

Remember how you felt on your first day of work at your current job?

If you’re anything like me you were probably excited but also scared. You probably felt both negative and positive emotions as you prepared to step into your new position.

You might think that starting a job on an island on the third deepest lake in the world would be piece of cake but, believe it or not, it also carries both fear and excitement.

I’m scared that I might not meet people’s expectations. I’m scared that I don’t have the energy need to truly engage in cross-cultural relationships. I’m scared that I’m not mentally prepared for six months in this rural setting.

I’m excited to learn more about eco-tourism and to put my past experience to use. I’m excited to apply the things I learned throughout university. I’m excited to spend six months on this peaceful island. I’m excited to learn how to make local food and learn some of the local language. I'm excited by this opportunity to become a part of such a close-knit community.





In the words of a wise friend, “Don’t worry so much about where you’ll end up. You’ll get there eventually. And don’t be afraid to let the people in, even if it’s only a season – though our hearts break because they are in pieces around the world, they’re better off than not being there at all. Our hearts weren’t made for us to hold onto.”

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing <3 Thinking about you two as you head off into the next phase of this crazy adventure we're on, and as you settle into your new home. Thank you for sharing all the emotions and thoughts and fears and excitement floating around in you right now - I can completely relate to everything you've described and it helps to know I'm not the only one.
    That quote from your friend is beautiful - I'm going to have to come back to that one!

    ~Arwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh! So exciting! I'm sure that your fears will melt away with time and care. Trust yourself, be kind, and soak it all in.

    I'll be awaiting your future updates with much excitement. I can't wait to hear about what life is like on Bunyonyi!

    -Russell

    ReplyDelete