Thursday, November 28, 2013

Offerings and Confessions (UB#12)



There is a book I have been reading all semester. It is not about thanksgiving. Yesterday, on American Thanksgiving, the chapter I read just happened to be about thanksgiving. This is a quote the author used:
 "In the world to come all sacrifices will cease,
but the thank-offering will remain for ever; 
likewise all confessions will cease, 
but the confession of thanks will remain for ever." 

This is apparently a saying from the Tannaitic times (1st-2nd century AD). How crazy is it that in the 1st century AD thanksgiving was probably just as important or more important than it is now... also whoever started this pretty much hit the nail on the head... at least for our culture.

How often do I forget to be thankful?!? I get caught up in complaining, whining, and just doing life and not only do I forget what there is to be thankful for I somehow manage to forget the joy of giving thanks.

Pretty much everyone has what I like to call a fallback sermon. One of the PAs (basically an RAs) for the program I'm doing right now has a personal mantra of thanksgiving. On two occasions she has brought to our attention, as a group, different issues and then proceeded to suggest that we overcome those issues by putting on attitudes of thanksgiving.

It is a beautiful thing to watch people who have struggled together begin to purposefully confess their thanks. It is an even more beautiful thing to witness the difference that purposeful giving of thanks can make within a community. Giving thanks brings people and communities into joy. Persistent confession of thanks will slowly change your heart.

I am grateful for at least one day every year on which I am reminded of the joy of giving thanks.

(Also.. I'm thankful that yesterday I got to bake sugar cookies and pumpkin bread... in Uganda!)

No comments:

Post a Comment