Monday, October 14, 2013

Comfortable (UB#5)


I struggle with is patience. I am constantly waiting for the next step in my life. Whether that is a semester abroad, a trip to Europe, graduation from Uni, or some other life event. The very fact that I am looking forward to these things is not bad in itself, however, the fact that this waiting comes out of a lack joy in the present. "Impatience is experiencing the moment as empty, useless, meaningless. It is wanting to escape from the here and now as soon as possible.” When I am constantly thinking about the future it reflects a lack of ability to appreciate the present.

This is the part of my ‘Uganda experience’ where my daily life is becoming routine.

I woke up this morning and thought to myself, 'wow, this feels normal.'

The roosters crowing outside my window. The soft noise of 70 girls in one hall waking up and preparing for the day. The cold shower that takes my breath away every morning. The fact that I walked into class just barely on time.

I've been here over seven weeks and this was probably the first day that I woke up just feeling comfortable. Since arriving here there has been marked progression towards feeling at home. I almost don’t want to be comfortable here because I don’t want to start focusing on the future. No matter where I am, I want to be patient in the way I view my time.

Below are a few photos that probably wont make it to fb... sorry for the poor quality. My camera battery died so my nikon is out of order right now :(

Salad Sunday (aka. What we do when we feel like we need veggies or we might die)

This is Johanna, my practicum supervisor's beautiful baby girl who I get to see every Tuesday and Thursday!

This is what happens when you try to use technology in a village that doesn't even have electricity. Part of my practicum involves engaging in community workshops on various topics including child sacrifice and health.

Sometimes we go to schools and while my supervisor has meetings about starting anti-child sacrifice clubs I 'teach' the kids... still not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be teaching. But whatevs... its fun :)

This is what community workshops usually look like... there were supposed to be 60+ people here. But it rained so... you know.

This is Rose. She helps with pretty much everything at EACO (Empower and Care Organization... the organization I'm interning with). She is super great.

Student led trip to Kampala... this is pretty much the only photo I took... but we went to an international festival, ate Indian food, and went to the American grocery store. It was a pretty great day.

This is Emmy (my practicum supervisor) and Johanna. I'll have spent over 100 hours with these beautiful ladies by the end of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment