Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Motivation (UB#4)


Motivation.

Living well in a different place requires sacrifice. Nothing necessarily monumental, but it means being the one who takes the first step. That doesn’t come naturally to me… it doesn’t come naturally to most people. Where does the motivation to do this come from? Where should it come from? Since being here I’ve found it difficult to step into friendships with Ugandans. I didn’t want to make the sacrifice that is required for ‘cross-cultural’ friendship because my only motivation was my own satisfaction. I wanted to leave here knowing I had friends here… but I didn’t want much more. I think that motivation is changing. A few of the on-campus American students have decided to read through Thessalonians over the course of our time here and yesterday as we were reading the first chapter this verse stuck out to me:

“We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Thessalonians 1:3).

work produced by faith
labor prompted by love
endurance inspired by hope

I must put my own desires on the shelf and seek faith, love, and hope, that out of these things friendships are made and bridges built. My selfishness will not get me where I want to go… and it isn’t helping anybody else out either.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I've never realized the impact of that verse before. I feel like I've never even heard it before. There's a lot of wisdom and guidance there. Thanks I needed that.

    ReplyDelete