Friday, September 13, 2013

Atmosphere (UB#2)


I realized earlier today that I needed to get out, to leave the confines of my small dorm room and spend some time alone, and so I resignedly leave my dorm room, knowing it is what I need to do, but somewhat unprepared to face the outside world. Within a minute of leaving my room I realize I have snuck up on the two girls walking in front of me. The pace of life here is slower; a walk across campus is something to be enjoyed. I slow my pace a bit late as the girls look back, probably wondering why I’m so close to them, but I’m thankful for the reminder to relax. As I walk I carefully avoid puddles filled from the afternoon rain shower that forced earlier chapelgoers to pack tightly together under a small overhang in order to avoid the fury of the rain. I eventually find a staircase overlooking campus and take a seat. The stress falls away as I sit under a beam of sunlight so strong it is forcing me to fall in love with the shade. The gentle breeze carries the smells of the city up from Lake Victoria and mingles those scents with the smoke pouring from the dining hall where enough rice is being cooked to feed thousands of students. I sit there for some time just taking in the sites and smells.

Andrew commented yesterday that my time here will shape who I am. And this is so true. It already has. I have learned to have patience. Cross-cultural relationships should not be rushed any more than I would rush into relationships with my peers at trinity. I have learned that I must have patience with myself as I remember to get enough sleep and to embrace the precious little alone time I get here. Uganda is a beautiful country, but it is also very different from anything I have ever known and for this reason I must embrace the emotions I have felt since being here and accept that this is not easy. There will be times when I must allow the tears welling up inside to pour out, but for now I must daily let it be my prayer that through this I might learn, I might grow, and I might be changed for the better, rather than for the worse. To God be the glory. 
(The entrance to campus... known as the main gate)

2 comments:

  1. I remember that for weeks after we first arrived in PNG, I didn't really want to go outside and mingle with people. Sleep was an especially attractive way of escape. But for you, probably getting enough sleep in your crowded little room is difficult. May you find sleep rest in the Lord, my most favorite youngest daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "sleep, and rest..."

    ReplyDelete