Monday, September 23, 2013

Falling in Love (UB#3)


When I said I was going to write a blog post on love I got a few strange looks. So just to clarify, I’m not about to write about a Ugandan guy (or a North American guy J). This is about the concept of falling love with a culture, a place, a group of people. Before coming here I was told I would fall in love with Africa. And, being naïve, I kinda thought that meant I would walk out of the airport into Uganda, and then I would never want to leave. Turns out it just isn’t that easy. I don’t feel ‘in love’ with this place. Yes, the rolling hills have on occasion captured my attention, up to this point, there have been moments of true appreciation, but nothing I would call love. Maybe this love is something that has to grow out of that appreciation. People say that when you fall in love, the character of the man slowly begins to overshadow his physical appearance. I do not yet know the true character of Uganda. I don’t know the heart of this country, the passion of the people, their sense of humour, or even the things that drive daily life here. I hope I fall in love, but even if I don't, I am thankful for this opportunity to grow in my appreciation for another way of life. I am grateful for this opportunity to find out where home is. I’m grateful that this is forcing me to learn about my own heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment