Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Working Holiday


I’ve been here just over two week. Here is Banff, Alberta, Canada. I worked here last summer, and as touristy as this place is, when I hopped off the bus here two weeks ago it felt like coming home. Unlike last summer I already had friends here, people I knew, people who knew me. I love seeing new places and experiencing things for the first time but I’m slowly realizing that I love the feeling of knowing where I am and what I’m doing. Coming back to Banff was the perfect combination of new and old, I was comfortable enough to walk down the street as a local but I was simultaneously able to experience this place like it was brand new. Working here means meeting and befriending people from all over the world. I’m fairly certain that I served over 150 ice cream cones to people from at least 20 different countries today, all within the space of 2 hours (side note: I’ve come up with a hypothesis having to do with ice cream and world peace). Needless to say, the past two weeks have flown by… working 10 hour shifts without any days off, hiking, and sleeping as much as possible can do that to the time. There were definitely a few hard days at first. Instantaneously befriending 15+ people with whom you spend almost 100% of your time can be difficult. All this to say, I can’t help but be thankful for all the opportunities I’ve had and the plans I’m able to make. I’m hoping to find some good wifi tomorrow so I can buy my tickets for Uganda/Europe tomorrow. Yep. Ticket buying. It’s big. Anyway… this wasn’t meant to be a lame life update… so I’m gonna go now.


No comments:

Post a Comment