Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I want to be a Middle Schooler?!?

So right now I'm sitting in the school library, yes, that does make me sound like a nerd.

Most libraries are silent, or at least somewhat quiet but our library doubles as the "after school care" room so that means it's the opposite of silent and sounds more like a gym than a library.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not trying to work... instead I'm get to use this time as a lab to study middle school students. Yes, that is weird, but today I got to go to two chapels (aka assemblies) one for high school students, and the other for middle school students. Most people would think that would be really boring, but I thought it was kinda cool.

The first chapel was the high school chapel, first thing in the morning singing praise songs with high school students who are too cool to sing doesn't necessarily work too well. I'm not sure why, but for some reason speakers seem to think that high schoolers don't learn through games or activities, or anything exciting at all. Instead they choose to be as boring as possible. Yeah, we might not be as responsive as the middle schoolers to those things, but that doesn't mean we don't want them. Maybe that's want we need to learn... if we want people to be exciting, we have to be responsive. I'm not saying that would work, but maybe we should try it sometime. Anyway, the high school chapel speaker had a good message and the Bible being like a GPS. The Bible is the positioning system for our life, and it was really good... but at the same time it lacked something... but I don't feel like going into theology...

Now moving on to the Middle School chapel. We had choir right after chapel so we decided to stay for their chapel rather than go to class (we had choir, so no we were not skipping). There were two main differences about this chapel, first the chapel was lead by 8th graders who know what their classmates like, and tried to make it fun. Second, the excitement level in the room was WAY higher. I don't mean it was just a little different. I mean, it was like the high school students were on Tylenol p.m. and the middle school students were on coffee that was half sugar. I honestly wished, for probably the first time since getting out of middle school that I could be back there having that much fun just sitting there. When did that change? When did we get too cool to have fun? Yes, I know most people don't like having teachers watch them and really don't want to be there... but does that really mean we have to sit there sulking? Come on, we can have fun even if the teachers are wet blankets... I mean wonderful fun-loving people (p.s. I love you mom).

So that's why I'm gonna try to live like a middle schooler, don't worry I'm not going to purposely tell annoying jokes and then laugh at myself... or yell just for fun, at least not at school... or have a super dramatic fight with my best friend... or start saying lol instead of just laughing... or feel the need to tell stores about what I ate for breakfast to my whole class..or any of those things. I'm just going to try to raise my excitement level a little bit.

That's all I've got, Paisleybokeh <3

p.s. sorry about my over usage of 'schoolers' I just realized that it's not a word... at least not according to the dictionary, but since I use it a lot and I started to change every one to students and I realized how nerdy that sounds since i used the phrase like 6 times in this blog post I'm just going to leave it and you can live with it...

1 comment:

  1. I definitely remember hitting that turning point when I wanted to be young again (and we're only in high school). Middle school wasn't my favorite, but they do have a lot of excitement! :)

    ReplyDelete